Friday, December 16, 2011

The CHALLENGE- Day 2 of the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu

This morning we wake up at 5am to be on the trail by 6. We even get coca tea to help wake us up. (Of course, I spill mine all over my sleeping bag and mat in the tent!) It was a chilly night and I am having a hard time getting out of my nice, warm sleeping bag! Today will be a long day with lots of uphill climbing at high elevations. The view outside our campsite is so gorgeous, it puts me in good mood to get started today!


We start off on our journey. The first hour or so is just slightly up hill. Then starts the switchbacks and our climb to the summit of Salkantay.
 3800meters
 Sabino and I at 3800m
The weather starts to get more cloudy and dreary as we get higher. It also gets colder! Finally we make it to the top of Salkantay. My lungs are burning and it is a tough climb to the top. A lot of wind and some rain...or sleet! I can't really tell at this point. I'll be honest, the last 15 minutes of the climb I was saying a rosary in my head! Thank goodness for 10 fingers to keep track of the 10 Hail Mary's :) At the top there are a bunch of sets of 3 rocks balanced on top of eachother. I'm not sure what that means and I am too tired and cold to listen to the explanation Sabino is giving for it haha! Not much of a view at the top due to the weather conditions. But I have made it to the summit of a 4600m mountain. Just over 15,000 feet. The highest I have ever climbed. Mount Everest anyone??? ;)

We get to lunch and it is still raining, but luckily we are a little lower so it has warmed up a bit. Lots of ducks wandering around at this spot! Maggie and I assume we have made it through the hardest parts. Sabino says the afternoon will start with a lot of downhill, then a short uphill climb followed by downhill to our campsite. Sounds easy enough, right??? About an hour into our afternoon hike the sun is shining and it is a lot nicer out. The downhill and flat hiking is nice. Then we get to the uphill part. This is not just an uphill! This is a CLIMB up a MUDDY, narrow trail. I am breathing so hard and taking short breaks every 30 feet or so. Sweat is POURING off me and my shoes are sinking in the mud. Not gonna lie...this part SUCKS :) Luckily, it only lasts about 30 minutes and we are at the top. Great view! It's a short hike to our campsite which turns out to be the wrong site, so then it is another short hike to the right campsite.







 Our "bathroom" at the campsite. Yeah...I think I'll just stick to the great outdoors. I don't even know how I'd use that!


CANNOT beat the views here!
What a day this has been. About 12 miles of hiking, started at 3800m to 4600m, and ending at 2800m. All kinds of terrain, all kinds of climate. Truly a challenge, but a conquered challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment