Friday, December 16, 2011

La Misa

Truly one of the best parts of my trip. The Mass! I have said this before, but I get a lot out of it...even if it is in Spanish and I dont know most of the prayers. Does that mean that maybe I dont pay very good attention in English Mass??? Nah...I just really like all the emotion and participation here. And I enjoy the music SOOOOOO much! But I do really miss playing the piano and singing with my music groups back in Wyoming :) So for this blog post, I have decided to take you through the Mass. And throughout have included some pictures of the church (both during Mass, morning prayer, and just me creeping through).

Nuestra SeƱora del Perpetuo Socorro (Our Lady of Perpetual Help)

Prior to the start of Mass the choir warms up and practices the music for the night. There is a keyboard, at least 3 guitars acoustic and electric, multiple drummers, and 6 or 7 singers.



Mass begins within 10 minutes after 8pm on Sunday night (or 7pm Saturday or 8am Sunday). When Mass starts, the church is probably 50-75% of the attendance it will be by the end.  Fr. Jack (and usually Fr. Juan, but not tonight in these pictures) enter the church accompanied by 6 or 7 alter servers and the readers.






 This is the 2nd week of Advent, so after Mass begins the two candles are processed up and Fr. reads the blessing. 
As the Liturgy of the Word continues, people continue to fill in for Mass. Now benches that probably would seat 6 or 8 people at home cram maybe up to 12 people. There is always room...everyone just scoots closer together. Lawn chairs are brought in when extra space is needed. 

During the music, Christian, a developmentally delayed young man takes it as his job to hand the microphone to those who need it and "direct" the choir. I didn't get a very good picture, but he is in there!

Tonight there are confirmation candidates present. Their confirmation will take place next weekend. There are probably about 30 kids, teen-aged. 

  
During the offertory, 2 baskets are brought to the front and people come up, putting their money offerings in. 


The Our Father begins and everyone moves to join hands. Before the prayer starts, a song is sung to the tune of Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle, then the prayer is spoken (this one I can participate 75% of....thanks Senorita Gibson!)
Then the sign of Peace! It gets a little chaotic, in a good way! It is the Peruvian custom to give a kiss on the cheek. During it, a song starts, with lots of clapping.

During communion, it is kind of a free for all. There is no order to the line. Id say only about 20-30% of the people go up to communion. Not sure why...probably a mix of people not having recieved their first Communion yet or not being in the state of grace to go to Communion. The second Mass I went to, I actually missed it because I was sitting towards the back "waiting my turn" until all of the sudden, Communion was over!

Mass is over then Fr. Jack tells everyone to sit down because one of the volunteers is leaving. Oh that's me! Gotta get up in front of the congregation...yikes...and get presented a plaque for my time here. Note the fish tank alter in the picture. How cool is that???

 
Here are some more random pictures from the church I took.
 Maryknoll Stations of the Cross

 
 The fish tank Alter...with real fish and everything!

 A blurry picture of the tabernacle. Another "water" theme

 A dog at the door of the church...pretty common sight!

 The floor tile looks like rocks.


Another dog wandering through the church during morning prayer :)





No comments:

Post a Comment