Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Music to a girl's ears...

...or at least this girl's ears. That is what I was thinking while the tears of joy were streaming down my face when I walked past an Irish pub in Cusco that advertised showing MNF via satellite on Mondays. And you know what? I get back from Machu Picchu Monday night and spend it in Cusco before heading to Lima then home on Tuesday. Who even cares that it's St. Louis vs Seattle!? Now I have absolute proof God was calling me on this mission trip to Chimbote. He is rewarding me with an extra day of football viewing!

Cusco is beautiful! The elevation is definitely something to get used to, so it's good we came a day early to acclimate that before we start some intense hiking tomorrow. Chimbote is at sea level. Cusco is about 3300meters. Which is a little over two miles or almost 11,000 feet high. (Thank you high school track for helping me with those calculations...1600meter=1 mile= 5,280 feet. 3200m= 2 miles= 10,560 feet...impressive huh???) Anyway, walking up the flight of stairs to our hostel (which is a convent attached to a Catholic school) had me breathing pretty hard, but I'm adjusting a little better today. Anyway, it was fun to walk around the city yesterday and we will do more exploring today. But I am most excited to do this hiking trip tomorrow. We leave at 5am and will spend 4 days hiking to Machu Picchu. We arrive on the afternoon of the 4th day and stay in a hostel that night meaning the morning of our last day I get to see the sunrise at Machu Picchu which is supposed to be pretty impressive. Another cool thing is that the moon is full on Dec. 11...also while we are camping. Our guide book says that is a bonus. Say a little prayer for me though...my stomach still doesn't like me very much and with all the tempting "normal" food again, it is hard to stay away! That's all for now...hopefully tonight I can post some more including some pictures from Cusco so far, but otherwise you will hear from me after the great Machu Picchu (that is NOT stonehenge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment