Thursday, December 1, 2011

Leave the skin on the potatoes and the shoes on the right feet!

One of the best parts of this trip is hearing all the stories Fr. Jack has to share about the 30some years he has spent in Peru. One of those had to do with watching a meal get prepared at one of the soup kitchens. Potatoes are really cheap and plentiful here. So the volunteers (all Peruvians) were peeling potatoes for the meal. Fr. Jack suggested they leave the skin on them as it has a lot of nutrients (which are very lacking here). He explained the importance of it as well as how it would be less wasteful. The workers agreed and left the skin on. The next time Fr. Jack came back, though, the potatoes were all peeled again. I KNOW how that must've felt! I have worked with  a lot of children in the PT clinic, either through screenings or actual treatments. I would say 80% of the children under age 3 wear their shoes on the wrong feet. That apparently is supposed to correct everything from in-toeing, out-toeing, bow legs, delayed walking, tiptoe walking, you name it. And it is true for even the children with a disability like CP who aren't even mobile. A couple weeks ago I said something about it and you'd think I said Christmas is actually in March of something like that. Maria, the main PT there had me clarify at least 10 times to make sure that is what I really meant. Once they were sure of it, they all agreed with me and the shoes were put back on the right feet. It was short lived though. Minus the fact there is no evidence that it actually does anything, it just looks funny! Ughhhhh! Ok...now I will hop off my soapbox.

It has been an eventful week here, my last in Chimbote. Today was my final day of actual work and tomorrow starts all the going away parties. Friday morning is one at the PT clinic and then lunch with some of the people at the parish. Saturday is lunch and volleyball (???) with some other friends and then Saturday night is the "big" despedida (going away party). Sunday afternoon my host family is making a big meal to say goodbye and then on Monday I have lunch with Fr. Jack, Sr. Peggy, and the other volunteers. Should all be a good time :) Monday night I take the overnight bus to Lima and from there will head to Cusco and then Machu Picchu.

No comments:

Post a Comment