Saturday, December 17, 2011

It ain't over til it's over

I got back to Gillette Wednesday afternoon. A delayed take-off in Lima had me racing through customs in Houston, but I made it on the plane to Denver with 10 minutes to spare! After getting home, my cell phone died and I had no idea where my charger was. But...to be honest, I kind of liked playing the "hermit" role for the next 24 hours til I got a working phone again. Sleep, unpacking, and going through a GIGANTIC stack of mail were my priorities these last few days :) I could go on and on about this...but my bed is soooooooo comfortable! I'd lay there all day if I could! But, unfortunately life doesn't stop just cuz I want to be lazy. And you know what...life back here didn't stay on hold while I was in Peru either. Bills still need to be  paid, a flat tire didn't magically turn into 4 new good tires, and my fantasy football season is over! But regardless, I am VERY happy to be home.  When my plane landed in Gillette, I could not wipe the smile off my face as I waited to deboard the plane and then get my luggage!  Immediately I went to Las Margarita's for chips and salsa...yummmmm! My roommate, Kim, decorated the house super great for Christmas which makes me happy and I have never appreciated my shower or washing machine so much! Singing and playing piano with the church music group on Thursday was amazing! And yesterday I had fun stopping by GPT to visit my friends and co-workers there. Can't wait to start working again on Monday! Tomorrow is football day with one of my most favorite families ever! And slowly life will get back to normal. Just in time to turn the big 3-0 on Thursday!!! I am sad to miss out on Christmas with my family this year, but really...the thought of more traveling right now doesn't sound very appealing anyway!

Now that I'm home, it seems almost surreal that I spent the last 2 months in Peru. Did I really eat guinea pig, take cold bucket showers, and roam the streets with hungry, stray dogs? I made it this long without texting, drinking milk, or listening to my ipod (my fault for not bringing the charger!)? How did I survive alphabetizing and re-alphabetizing notecards for Christmas letters while listening to Anne Murray and Bryan Adams??? Without knowing much Spanish (although much improved now!) I was able to provide physical therapy services, feel spiritually fulfilled from Mass and morning prayer, and make friends. Despite the language barrier, I come home feeling like I made a difference in Chimbote. That I helped people. I've also come home knowing a lot more about myself and the kind of person I am. And I like it :) I am going to miss the WONDERFUL, welcoming, friendly people of Chimbote who made my stay there INCREDIBLE!  But I am happy to be back! Back to cereal for dinner and cheering for the Packers in my Aaron Rodgers jersey! Back to snow in December, dogs on leashes, and drinking unboiled water. But most of all I am happy to be back to the equally WONDERFUL family and friends I have here who have been most supportive throughout this trip. I am a VERY lucky girl. Like Dorothy said..."There's no place like home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment