Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wait a second...Do I spy a McDonalds???

Yes I do!
Maggie and I took the overnight bus to Lima, leaving Chimbote last night at 11:30 and getting into Lima about 6 this morning. We were lucky that Wilder, an employee of the Parish, also was headed to Lima last night too. So he shared his taxi with us and dropped us off at the airport. That´s where I am right now. Waiting for the flight to Cusco. We´ve got about 3 hours til take off. It´s funny...when I arrived in Lima exactly 6 weeks ago today, I was OVERWHELMED. There were so many people, a foreign language, and giant city (although now I realize Lima is more like a state broken up into cities called districts, just like in Chimbote). I had my passport carrier hidden underneath my clothes, locks on all the zippers of my luggage, and my carry on back pack worn against my stomach instead of my back. I was sure I was going to get robbed! By the grace of God I found my taxi driver (or really..he found me) and managed to make it to the hostel. The next morning, it started all over again when I took a taxi (same driver) to the bus depot and crossed my fingers I was actually getting on the bus to Chimbote.
Anyways, today I actually looked out the window of the taxi to see Lima while enroute to the airport. Nothing too special that I saw...basically your typical large city, but definitely a lot different than Chimbote. Once at the airport it was time to get something to eat. This is where the biggest decision I have had to make since I got here came into play. WHERE TO EAT??? McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Papa Johns, a smoothie place, a Cinnabon-type place and some other probably Peruvian chains were the options. I told myself I should still probably be pretty careful beacsue I had been so sick this weekend. So I picked a strawberry-orange smoothie and an ENORMOUS cinnamon roll. Surely what the doctor would order :)
Not sure if I`ll post again before heading out to Machu Picchu. This morning we got the final confirmation that our trip is booked though, so on Thursday morning we will leave for a 5 day, 30+ mile hiking trip ending at Machu Picchu. I am very excited for this! I wasn´t planning on taking a side trip while I was here, but it ended up not being too expensive, I had tons of advice that this was something I shouldn´t miss out on, and I have a friend to go with. Should make for a good time.
Oh yeah, I´m still being careful with my luggage this time too. My passport carrier is still under my shirt and locks are on my backpack, but I`m wearing it on my back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment