Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Minnesota Vikings...what the hay???

So every morning I am fortunate enough to go for a run. A guardsman, named Manini always comes with (not only for protection from human dangers....but MOST importantly, DOG dangers)! Anyway, hes a good sport about it...especially since we can barely communicate and prior to me coming he had not run in a LONG time! This morning he had on a Minnesota Vikings T'shirt. I spent the whole run trying to tell him why that was an ugly shirt. Unfortunately I didnt succeed...but now thats my goal for the rest of this trip!

Yesterday, I had a "poor me" moment where I was feeling a little homesick and sorry for myself about the things that have been hard here and the things I am missing. Sometimes its easy to get caught up in that kind of attitude. Fortunately this one didnt last too long...the Mac truck with the guilt trip showed up pretty quickly. I get to go home in 5 weeks, but this is normal life for the people here. Plus, I have it pretty good right now. Volunteers are basically treated like celebrities. The people have been so kind and always offer whatever they can to show their gratitude.

My spanish is starting to come around. Usually I can understand what I hear (although, Peruvians talk fast, so often I dont HEAR what they say), but finding the words to answer still is a challenge. Luckily, there are a few people around that speak English and Spanish very well which helps a lot. A funny side story...yesterday I was helping Fr. Jack with some letters and one of the guys there is trying to learn English. I sneezed and he told me "cheers". Thats because here when someone sneezes or you have a toast, they say Salud. Which basically translates to cheers, but it has a little different context in answer to a sneeze. I thought it was pretty funny. I wonder how many times I have gotten something like that wrong! Fr. Jack says that if I get teased about my spanish pronunciations, just ask one of them to pronounce a word like "enough" or "though". Then I can have a good laugh too!

I kind of feel like I am rambling, so I shall stop! Good night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment